Need help with Environmental Engineering assignment?
Get customized homework help now!
Wastewater Treatment Systems
The process of removing contaminants and pollutants from wastewater, sewage from domestic water and industrial water is referred as Wastewater treatment systems. The treatment system includes
- Physical treatment
- Chemical treatment
- Biological treatment
Each treatment shall specific contaminants from sewage water. The main aim of wastewater treatment system is to provide environmentally safe wastewater before disposing or reusing it. There are many advanced technologies available for the treatment of wastewater.
Processing of Wastewater:
Wastewater can be treated in its origin with the help of septic tanks, aerobic treatment systems or biofilter or distant by transporting the collected waste with municipal treatment system or centralized treatment system. The wastewater treatment system should be liable to local, state and federal agencies standards. Industrial wastewater treatment system requires specialized treatment techniques.
Following are three types of wastewater treatment system
- Primary treatment system: The heavily sized particulates are allowed to settle down. The particles like grease and oil that are floating can be removed with the help of skimmer. Similarly the floating card boards, paper, dried leaves can be removed with the help of screening mesh. The suspended and settled solids can be removed before treating the effluent with secondary treatment systems.
- Secondary treatment system: The effluent from primary treatment is further treated in secondary treatment system. The aim of secondary treatment is to remove the suspended and dissolved solid particulates. The biological organisms are used for this purpose. The microorganisms in the treated effluent of secondary treatment are further subjected to tertiary treatment.
- Tertiary treatment system: This treatment is extremely important than primary treatment and secondary treatment system. It is because the effluent from tertiary treatment directly adjoins estuaries, fresh water stream, irrigational field and at times domestic supply. Hence the wastewater has to be disinfected with ultraviolet waves, chlorination of water and related process.
- What is wastewater treatment system?
- What is pretreatment?
- Describe tertiary treatment.
25% OFF on Homework Help
Note: We will not do your assignment for you. We will only help you understand the steps to solve it.