Need help with Environmental Engineering assignment?
Get customized homework help now!
The occurrence of chemicals is quite common, whereas the disappearance of contaminants completely from the atmosphere is a rare case. The left out chemical or contaminants or pollutants are referred as trace contaminants. The management of trace contaminants in the environment is a challenging and complex problem which is with worldwide consequence. The identification of trace contaminants, assessment and management of contaminants is associated with ecological risk to both environment and human being. This paves the way for sustainable development. The trace contaminants source may be either natural source or man -made sources. The water, ground water and storm water shall contain contaminants as dissolved solids ranging in 200 to 10000 parts per trillion (PPT).
Removal of trace contaminants requires the knowledge of the following.
- Dynamic of trace contaminants
- Local scale
- Global scale
- Regional scale
- Mathematical correlation
- Mathematical models
- Accumulation of trace contaminants in food web chains
- Fundamental principles of toxicity of trace contaminants
- Mechanism of toxicity induced by trace contaminants
- Symptoms of toxicity as a result of trace contaminants
- Parameters related to genotoxicity, endocrine effects and immunotoxicity
- Control strategies
- Legislative protocols for trace contaminants
- Rehabilitation of areas contaminated with trace metals and related
The following are methods available for removal of trace contaminants as below
- Adsorption process
- Chelation process
- Size exclusion process
- Ion exchange process
- Complexation mechanism
- Modified natural or man - made products
High priority trace contaminants
Other trace contaminants
Organic trace contaminants
- Endocrine disrupting compounds
- Pharmaceutical compounds
- Municipal waste steams
- What are trace contaminants?
- What are methods available for treatment of trace contaminants?
- What are problems associated with trace contaminants?
25% OFF on Homework Help
Note: We will not do your assignment for you. We will only help you understand the steps to solve it.